White

Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder. -E.B. White

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

THE CRUISE ACROSS LAKE MICHIGAN

Hello Michigan!

I've always loved Michigan. I used to come here to visit my grandparents and other relatives and friends from my mother's side of the family. I have a lot of great memories here, including catching lightning bugs, learning to ride my tricycle, and exploring my grandparent's house and yard.

So I've finally made it back once again! The car ferry went from Manitowoc, WI to Ludington, MI and took 4 hours to get across a 60 mile span of Lake Michigan.
The S.S. Badger
Weight: 6,650 tons displaced
7,000 total horsepower
Average speed of 18 mph

The ship had a movie lounge, concession stands, a gift shop and lots of great views. I went up top to watch the water and listened to the chugging of the ship and the splash of the water from below. It was so relaxing I actually fell asleep for a minute or two. Then I went into the movie lounge and was there for as long as I could stand it. The whole boat creaks from side to side and the lounge was in the middle of the ship with no windows so I was feeling a little strange to say the least.

When we finally arrived toward the harbor the sun was about ready to set and the water looked so clean I just wanted to jump overboard. But I decided against that.




I didn't think these fishermen were going to move over in time for our big 'ol boat to get through the canal! But they made it and gave us a wave.

When we finally came to the dock to tie up the ship, the workers at the bottom of the ship threw across rope and a wire line. A little boy standing next to me watching them do this looked over and asked his mother if that is how we got off the ship by walking across the wire. His mother replied that all the children on the boat had to get off this way. Of course I had a good chuckle at that!



And so I came into the great state of Michigan with a smile and a short drive to my next destination; my mother's childhood neighbor in Hart, Michigan.



~K.P.~

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey! It was nice to meet you too! :) Thanks for checking this out! If I'm ever in Grand Rapids again I'll let you know.

      Delete