White

Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder. -E.B. White

Thursday, August 2, 2012

PICTURE AN ADVENTURE! Photography of South Dakota

Due to my procrastination, I was not able to post a few interesting photos of my trip up to South Dakota. So I'll post them now. I ran into a fire on the plains shortly after I crossed into the state. There was a large cloud of "mystery smoke" that I saw up ahead of me.


Turns out it was a plains fire.


It burned all the way up to the road.


It was quite the sight. I've never been quite so close to a wildfire before. I gotta tell you though, I don't think this fire was as scary to be next to as a forest fire in the mountains. Once the fire burns the grass, it can't cross the road and won't go into the road. So, it was a little more interesting than frightening but still noteworthy!

Fast forward to my exciting journey through....The Corn Palace! "Dat, da, DA!" That was my "corny" excitement. Excuse the pun. Well before I lose the reader with horrible writing, I'll just show some pictures of the place.

The corn palace has been decorating the outside of the building with grasses, grains, and corn to create murals for over 100 years! Inside, I learned about the history, genetics, production and various facts of corn. Here is the corn palace's website in case you are interested http://www.cornpalace.org/.

One thing I didn't know is that a corn cob pipe is literally made out of a corn cob. Yes, logic is not always with me. In any case, I thought they were neat little gift shop items.
The best way to describe a place is with images. So I will leave you with some of my pictures I took of the land! :)

Under the Willow Tree
A Garden
Across the Highway
Elm Street



~K.P.~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment