White

Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder. -E.B. White

Sunday, September 30, 2012

A FINISHED GOAL AND A NEW THOUGHT

“What you’ve done becomes the judge of what you’re going to do – especially in other people’s minds. When you’re traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don’t have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.” – William Least Heat Moon


I have accomplished the goal of reading! Yes reading. The other day I finished a book I had started before my journey even took place. The book was Blue Highways by William Least Heat Moon. Essentially the book is about a man who after some failures in his personal life, decides to take this journey across the back roads of America. I figured this book was quite appropriate considering I was about to do the exact same thing (only I allowed myself to travel on freeways if need be).

So why did it take me over 2 months to finish this book? For one, I was on the road having my own experiences and just living can take up so much of ones time. I think another reason however, was that I didn't want the book to end, just like I didn't want my journey to end. But now, I don't think journeys ever really end.  Everything you do and everywhere you go is just an extension of the greater journey of living.

So those words taken from Blue Highways, "you are what you are right there and then...No yesterdays on the road" gives a new thought. Give the meaning of "on the road" a larger scope, and don't let anyone including yourself, especially yourself, judge what you're going to do and what you are capable of doing based on what you have already done. We are all capable of letting go of yesterday and focusing on what we are "right there and then."

So with those words of wisdom from William Least Heat Moon and an accomplished goal finally checked off my list, it's on to the next.

Currently, crocheting my own scarves and other little pieces have been something I do in my spare time. As well as learning one new song on my guitar will be my next goal. I'll let you know when that happens.

~K.P.~

1 comment:

  1. Least Heat Moon wrote, "There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't.” I've known a lot of the latter, Kelsey. But for two decades I've seen your open heart and bold spirit. You're definitely the former.

    ReplyDelete