White

Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder. -E.B. White

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

SOUTH CAROLINA (Part 1): You're gonna want to see this!

 
South Carolina....is an incredibly beautiful state! Imagine giant live oak trees with Spanish moss tangled in every limb blowing in a breeze that smells like blooming roses and magnolias. It's got that "southern charm".

Middleton Place Plantation
 

When I first entered into the state, I decided along a more coastal route. I followed the highway into Myrtle Beach where I had a misty morning walk along the shore.

Myrtle Beach
 
Myrtle Beach is quite a touristy location, but it's also a fun town with beautiful beaches. Not wanting my trip to involve too many tourist traps however, I moved right along to small historic Georgetown. Georgetown's downtown area overlooks Winyah Bay. Huge smokestakes on the other side of the bay can be seen puffing out white smoke. Boats line the dock and historic buildings line the main street. I sat in a small bar overlooking the water and the sunset and ate a shrimp po-boy. Needless to say, I had a relaxing day in this town.
 
 

Georgetown
 

After Georgetown I headed further south down the coast.

Tied Down (Middle of nowhere)

Just outside of the the city of Charleston, South Carolina is a plantation called Middleton Place. This being my first trip to a plantation I was excited to see the history of the place. Little did I know it would completely exceed my expectations and leave me in awe! Here are some various pictures of my experience at Middleton Place.

 Entering into beauty
 Start of the maze of azaleas and roses
 Middleton household (built 1755)
 
 Moss and flowers hang everywhere
 The Swamp
 African American Church on the Plantation
 Crossing the road
 Water Buffalo
 Can you spot the gator?
Sunbathing
The tomb of Mr. Middleton hidden among the flowers
 Statues that survived the Union invasion
 
 
And with that, I headed into Charleston, SC.  (to be continued!) 
~Kelsey P.~ 



2 comments: